You’d think that when unemployment is high, there would be few vacancies in the job market. And that when unemployment is low, there would be quite a few vacancies not filled. This is the Beveridge Curve. It usually looks like this, with a downward curve, reflecting what we’ve just said.
- Use ‘doing’ words e.g. managing as well as management
- Ditch the word ‘assistant’ in favour of ‘executive’
- Follow up on your application by calling the HR department or recruitment agency
- Make sure your CV is scannable – no fancy boxed formatting and the like
- Your LinkedIn profile is important – many employers will check it to verify your claims
- Don’t be flippant – these were genuine comments in CV’s : “I have technical skills that will simply take your breath away” and “I can type without looking at the keyboard”