- Proper prior consultation and consideration
- Collecting ideas, suggestions and reviews for possible solutions in a creative way
- Persuasive and collaborative discussion of problems and issues in order to reach agreement to realise potential solutions.
The objective of nemawashiis to retain harmony and cohesiveness where opinions differ. By doing this groundwork you can save valuable time that might be lost by implementing the wrong strategy. Once decisions are reached, rapid implementation can occur and you can effectively hit the ground running. Having true consensus also means less conflict and less likelihood that someone will want to sabotage the decisions made. By involving everyone beforehand it also allows people to feel ownership of the eventual solutions, so you get buy-in and motivation.
- What do I think of the proposal?
- How would I improve the proposal?
- If I make this decision how will I feel – better or worse?
- Do I think this is a fair decision to all involved?
- If I had to defend this decision in a court of law would I feel sure and confident?