Coaching & Mentoring
“Our chief want in life is somebody who will make us do what we can.“
Ralph Waldo Emerson”
What is the Difference?
A Mentor is….
A trusted guide and teacher, an independent and objective source of support, someone who has experience of the sector or industry of their client, who brings their knowledge and experience to help their client develop both professionally and personally to see the future, to take opportunities to get results and to be fulfilled.
A Coach is…..
An external and supporting other with specific coaching skills who enables change to happen through challenge and guidance by encouraging learning and development of self-awareness, personal abilities and competencies, focusing on goals and outcomes that are measurable and suited to the client’s objectives.
Which do you need?
We will wear the hat you need. You might want both! That’s why we offer a free introductory session* so we can really understand what you need.
You can find out more about personal coaching on our Personal Performance Coaching page. On this page we offer an example of business mentoring:
Your business has started with a great idea or vision and your enthusiastic, positive attitude to bring this into being. It has grown and developed and reached a point where you find yourself juggling and spinning many plates to fill different roles and manage all the components of your business. Now you face a variety of challenges:
- There’s not enough of you to go around
- Sleep and rest are unfamiliar friends
- You need help, more staff, people to delegate tasks to
- You need a better plan, you need an updated plan, a clearer strategy
- Cash flow rears its head rather a lot
- Some funding would really help
- Operational processes need an overhaul
- What happened to the marketing?
- What do I need to do next? And then after that? And after that….?
Not seeing the wood for the trees, your business mentor is that objective support, the sounding board to sort out what you should be doing first, next, thereafter. You get that help you need to identify areas for development or improvement, whether managing changes brought about by increased growth, planning promotional or marketing strategies, identifying target markets, pitching to an investor or evaluating a particular business situation.
The benefits come from tapping into your mentor’s knowledge, support and expertise to guide you to
- Plan and strategise
- Develop support networks
- Set appropriate business targets and objectives, spot opportunities
- Balance your business life to your personal goals
- Identify and utilise resources effectively
- See the bigger picture; monitor your business progress, review and refresh to drive growth and sustainability.
*The free introductory session is a 30 minute telephone conversation with no-obligation to you